Saturday, October 20, 2012

New MRI tradition? HELP!!

Who's the patient here?? hmmmm....


So, yesterday I had my second MRI. This time I headed to Memorial Herman Imagining Center in Pasadena with my mother-in-law in tow.... little did she know what she was in for, haha!  I asked the facility to let her come in the testing area with me because as most of you now know, I am horribly claustrophobic. Mrs. Mary was such a trooper, let me tell you. When they told us we had to "gown" up,  I thought for sure she was going to tell me "FORGET IT BLONDIE!"  Much to my relief, she simply shrugged and began to make jokes about walking around the facility with her gown open and flapping. I began to relax some, took my valium and began to change.

As I struggled to get my clothing off in the small dressing room, I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. THIS is what my life has become: a series of doctors appointments and MRI's? "WHY AM I BEING SUCH A WIMP?  I seriously need to get over it." I will be doing this a lot over the course of my life. "Im a grown ass woman. I should be able to do this alone, right?" Then it hit me! Maybe I should try to make this fun somehow! How can I turn this anxiety ridden situation into something that doesn't make me want to curl up in a ball and cry? By this point my head is starting to feel fuzzy so I make a mental note to start a tradition of some kind and wondered over to Mrs. Mary's side. I decided her shoulder looked really comfortable so we smiled for the blog and talked crap about the election as I half snoozed.


The MRI of my neck went smoothly with Mrs. Mary right by my side holding my hand. She reminded me to breath a lot but overall I think my anxiety wasn't as bad this time around.

Now that I am back to reality the question of How do I make this fun?  is still floating around in my head... Most of you know that I am silly and crazy and usually LOVE life! I laugh like a hyena and used to do it often. I really need to find that part of me again.

I talked to my good friend, Aimee, about this yesterday and she suggested drawing on a different mustache each time I get an MRI! I love this idea because it won't interfere with the MRI itself and I can change it up each time! I could definitely have a lot of fun with that! Imagine what those nurses would think if I came walking in with a little hitler 'stache? classic! Mrs. Mary also bought the kids Madagascar 3 yesterday and it came with a crazy afro wig! Aimee suggested the wig and a clown nose!  I thought that was pretty clever too! (yes, I photoshopped a mustache on my picture... lol)



So, here is my proposal to all of you who are following my blog: What should I do to make this easier for me and a lot more fun? It needs to be something fairly simple that I can do each time and will not interfere with the MRI (so no metal of any kind). Leave me a comment and let me know!! Help me kick some MS ASS!1



finding my inner silliness

---Warrior

No comments:

Post a Comment